Friday, August 29, 2014

Greater Is He In You

"....because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world."
I John 4:4b
 
Do you believe that?
Do you live as though you believe that?
 
In recent weeks, I've talked to a few people I know about Facebook and social media, in general.  Seems this topic has the potential to heat up a conversation.
 
Some people say they would never be on FB and they say that like it's a badge of their character.
Others can't seem to take even a 5-minute break from it.
 
One person I know said they were signing off for good because FB was asking for information they didn't want to give, or prying into their personal stuff, or something like that.
 
First off, it is absolutely a personal decision whether you choose to be a part of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.  Frankly, I don't even know what some of those are!
But whether you choose to or not doesn't reflect on your personal character.
How you use it, however, can!
 
I first signed on to FB because a former high school classmate of mine encouraged me to, saying I would be able to be in touch with other former classmates who had since moved away.  I had been holding out, but decided I would really like to catch up with these people, so I finally relented and signed on.

I don't Twitter, Tweet, Instagram, or HashTag.  I don't know how, but wouldn't be opposed to it!!

Anyway, I look at social media the same way I view a lot of things in this world.  They are there for our use and what greater way to use them than to promote the Gospel!!

If we as Christians become so worried and concerned that we will be affected by these types of things and all decide to pull out, we are, in effect, leaving these tools to be used in the hand of the enemy to promote his agenda.  When we leave an atmosphere, we take the salt and light with us! 

Let's not do that! 
Let's use this most powerful tool to promote God's ideas, God's ways and God's answers to this needy world we live in.

I decided awhile back, after some well-meaning Christian tried to make me feel "stained" by using FB, that I was going to continue to "take back" territory that the enemy wanted to rule! 
I am NOT going to tuck tail and run!
I am NOT going to leave the realm of FB. 
I use it to advertise this very blog, and what better way to get the Word out?

So many times, we Christians withdraw our presence from a certain activity or group because we don't want to be "touched" by the ungodliness.  Well, let me ask you - how can we make a difference if we refuse to be around it?  How can we change the atmosphere if we don't allow ourselves to see it as God's sees it and view it as a mission field?

"Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you,
as I said unto Moses."
Joshua 1:3

Are we afraid of their sin?
Are we afraid we're going to get "cooties?"
Are we afraid to be challenged by someone else's viewpoint?
Do we think their viewpoint is going to "poke holes" in ours?
Or are we afraid we aren't strong enough as a Christian to withstand the temptation of sin?
Is our foundation in Christ so shaky that we fear we'll fall?

I'll tell you one of my fears used to be that I didn't know enough about the convictions I held to effectively dialogue about it.  I had to begin seeking out my own answers to my convictions and to understand and know why I held those convictions.  It challenged me to think and I'll be honest, sometimes, I don't want to think.  I don't want to dig deep.  It takes energy, time and a lot of soul-searching.

But think of it this way -

If we all decided we were not going to go to the movies anymore because we didn't want to support all the sex, violence and corruptness of the movie industry. what would happen?
That's all movies would consist of - sex, violence and corruption - because there would be no Christians to make moral, family type entertainment.
We can choose not to go to those movies that support sex, violence and corruptness, but let's use this industry to promote godliness.

My feeling is this - nothing tangible is corrupt in and of itself, it's how we, as humans, use them.

Use technology to spread the Gospel and hope to a hopeless world.
Use social media for the Lord!
Use the arts and music for the Lord!
Take advantage of technology and get the message out!

Technology, in and of itself, is not evil - the people who use it can be.
Guns, in and of themselves, do not kill people - the people who use them sometimes do.
TV, in and of itself, is not evil - what we choose to watch can be.

There is a lot of abuse and misuse of modern technology, but just because some people choose to abuse it, does not mean that we can not choose to use it responsibly.

In writing this blog, I would be remiss if I didn't address the potential harm in some of what I'm promoting.  I'm not saying an alcoholic should just trust God and find his/her mission field at the local bar.  I'm not saying that if you have a particular disposition to a certain sin, that you should go ahead and immerse yourself in it anyway, hoping to reach others caught in the same sin. 

I am saying that you need to know your strengths and weaknesses and act accordingly and responsibly.  I am saying that you can trust that "greater is He that is within you..." and not be intimidated by the world and it's corrupt, ungoldy morals and standards.

Don't pull out!
Dig in deeper.
Use all to God's glory!
Use all to know Him and make Him known!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment