Thursday, March 27, 2014

Come to the Quiet

I have had an extremely busy week, both at work and at home.  It's my last week before I leave for Florida and so many last minute things need to be done.  Plus I am attending a Women's Conference this weekend and then we'll be celebrating my Dad's birthday on Sunday, so tomorrow, in the midst of packing for the conference, I have to make him a birthday cake.  I leave tomorrow about 3pm and won't be home until late Sunday afternoon.  Right now, as I write this, it is 11:25pm and I need to go to bed.  My day tomorrow starts at 6am and will probably not end until about this time tomorrow night!




 
 
I'm leaving for Florida early Tuesday morning.......Welcome to my crazy life!

I keep telling myself - I'm too old for this!!
 
In the midst of it all, God keeps whispering to me, "I'm increasing your capacity.  Trust me."

He's been telling me that a lot lately.  But with that whisper has also come an invitation -

"Come to the quiet.  Be much with me."
 

 
And I'll be honest with you, it's been hard to find that time to "be much with Him".
 
But as I do, He continually fills me and gives me strength.
He has also changed my prayers.

Last week, as I was praying for my upcoming trip to Florida, I was asking God to give me good, on time flights, good connections, no problems at the airport, etc etc.  In other words, I was asking for a perfect experience.  As I was praying, the Holy Spirit interrupted and re-directed me on how I should be praying. 

So, my prayer became instead:

Lord, whatever happens, give me strength, give me grace to respond and react in your Spirit.  Increase in me the ability to handle all things you send my way.  Help me recognize the gifts you give, no matter what form they come in. 


I realized Holy Spirit was taking my eyes off the circumstance and putting them on the condition of my heart.  For it is out of the heart, we will speak and act.

It's always a matter of the heart, isn't it?  And that's exactly where God wants to increase my capacity. My capacity to contain Him and then pour Him forth - pour forth His grace, His mercy, His love, His kindness, His gentleness, His patience - in whatever I find in my path - whether it's an extremely busy day, a crowded airport, a delayed flight, heavy traffic, impatient people, petty annoyances - no matter what, the gift is in the midst, if I will but look for it; look for it and express my gratitude in all things.


"There remains therefore a rest to the people of God.  For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his."
Hebrews 4:9, 10
 
And that rest only comes when we give up "our own works", our own attempts at controlling the situation, controlling our response, controlling our reaction.  When we let God increase in us, trust Him and find that "quiet" to be filled with Him, we can enter into that rest.
 
"Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief."
Hebrews 4:11
 
This is the only place in the entire Bible that we are told to "labor." And it's a labor to enter into that rest that Jesus has provided.
 
And I believe God is showing me the way to labor, the way to enter into that rest is in the quiet, in the stillness with Him, resting in His love, in His heart.
 
In the midst of all of our activity, we can be at rest.
We can be at peace.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment