Friday, November 15, 2013

God is Bigger Than the Boogie Man

"God is bigger than the boogie man.
He's bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on TV.
God is bigger than the boogie man.
And He's watching out for you and me."
 
Words to a Veggie Tales song that for some reason was on my mind today.  I found myself reflecting on the so many things we fear at one time or another.  Sometimes our fears are grounded in facts and sometimes they are "mountains made out of molehills." 
 
I remember when I was younger, my family used to spend our summer vacation at a camp on a lake that had an outdoor bathroom.  That bathroom was always filled with "daddy long-legs" spiders.  Before I would use the bathroom, I would always ask my older brother to go in and kill all the spiders he could see.  Of course, being the understanding older brother that he was, he teased me mercilessly and he used to always say - "You are a thousand times bigger than that spider.  What are you afraid of?"  That, I think, would certainly qualify as an irrational fear.  But when you really fear something, it is not irrational to you.
 
Today, listening to the news or reading a newspaper can cause us to fear about the state of the world, the state of our health insurance, the state of our money.  We can fear the report we are expecting from the doctor's office, we can fear flying, we can fear a bill that is coming in the mail, we fear the security of our job, we fear man; there are any number of things that we fear - big and small.
 
But - the song says -
 
God is BIGGER than the boogie man.  God is BIGGER than your "boogie man".  He is BIGGER than your greatest fear, whatever that may be.
 
During the early years of my marriage, I had a fear of the dark and being alone at night.  Then my husband got a new job - working third shift - and suddenly I was alone just about every night - 5 months pregnant and with a 3-yr old.  I slept, when I did sleep, with a light on and reciting a Scripture that I had memorized.  God miraculously delivered me from that fear and to this day, I feel secure in Him in that regard.  But shortly after the deliverance, I had opportunity to fear again and my neighbor invited my daughter and I to spend the night with her while my husband was away.  The Lord showed me that if I left my house and went to hers, I would be inviting the enemy to take up residence again.  I had to face my fear, embrace it and let God help me overcome it - again!

 
 
When you run from the fear, it will continue to chase you!
 
If you face the fear and run toward it; with God's help, you will overcome!
 
"I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them:
neither did I turn again till they were consumed."
Psalm 18:37
 
 
What is your "boogie man" today?
 
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"
Psalm 27:1
 
God is truly BIGGER than your "boogie man" today.  His promise is yeah and Amen!
 
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."
Deuteronomy 31:6
 
Face your fear head on.  Ask yourself - what is the worse that could happen?  Will God be there with you?  The answer to that question is always a resounding YES!!!  So, if God be for you, who can be against you?  He has promised He will never leave nor forsake you. 
 
Refuse to be motivated by fear in any area of your life, but listen to the still, small voice of the Lord and let Him motivate you, let Him lead you in the way He wants you to go.
 
"Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.  For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken."
Proverbs 3:25, 26
 
There are a boatload of Scriptures that talk about fear; do a study; ask the Lord to give you a Word to stand on when your fear threatens to overtake you.
 
Psalm 37 says this:
 
Fret not....
Trust in the Lord....
Delight thyself also in the Lord....
Commit thy way unto the Lord....
Rest in the Lord...
 
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. 
Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."
Isaiah 26:3, 4
 

 
Part 1 of 2
Look for Part 2 on Monday, November 18!

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment