Monday, November 18, 2013

God is Bigger Than the Boogie Man, Part 2

Fear is a funny thing.  Just when we think we might have conquered it, it crops up in the most unexpected places.

My family has been vacationing in Maine for the past 33+ years and I have driven the road back and forth too many times to count.  This past July when I was driving home on Interstate 89, I had an experience I've never had before.  At a certain spot in the road, I had the incredible sensation to - instead of taking the curve - just drive straight through the guard rails to see what would happen!  It's hard to put words to the feeling I had, but I had to literally white-knuckle the steering wheel to make sure I turned it in the right direction.  It left me quite shaky to say the least.  This happened in July.  I was scheduled to go back to Maine in September with friends for vacation.  In thinking about this episode, I consoled myself by the fact that I wouldn't be driving in September so it would be okay. 

Well, as things turned out, I had to drive by myself for the September trip also and as the time grew nearer for me to leave, I became very anxious and fearful about the drive.  I started to become fearful that I would not be able to turn my steering wheel in the direction of the curve when I was presented with that same situation again.  I went to see my pastor a few days before the trip and then enlisted some friends to pray for me.  They all committed to pray for me especially on the day I would be driving home on that particular stretch of highway.

The Lord began to show me how fear could take up residence in my heart again and prevent me from doing one of the things in life that gives me greatest pleasure - vacationing in Maine.  As I sought the Lord and attempted to "figure this out", I became angry at the enemy of my soul and declared- "It's going to take more than this to stop me!  God is on my side and I trust Him!"  I also began to realize that even when I couldn't trust myself to do "the right thing", I could trust God in me to help me and strengthen me.  I went to Maine and had a wonderful vacation. 
 





I prayed off and on throughout my vacation and on the drive home, I prayed quite a bit and put on my praise tapes and worshipped the Lord.  When I came to that stretch of highway, there was not another car in sight.  I drove in the left hand lane, singing at the top of my lungs and praising God for delivering me - again!

"He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighteth in me."
Psalm 18:19

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation."
Isaiah 12:2 
 
Fear is always crouching at the door trying to seduce us away from trusting in our God. We can't trust the situation, we can't always trust other people and we can't always trust our own hearts, but our God is completely trustworthy and can ALWAYS be trusted.
 
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
Proverbs 3:5, 6

"The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in Him."
Nahum 1:7

"Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is."
Jeremiah 17:7
 
When we lean hard into Him, He does not disappoint.  He is faithful in ALL ways, in ALL things.  
 
He Can Be Trusted!
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment