Monday, October 21, 2013

Encouraged by the Word

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."  Philippians 1:6
 
I thought of this scripture yesterday.  I woke up feeling very far from a "good work".  The attitudes of my heart have needed quite a bit of work lately.  I was thinking I'm certainly not very confident of my ability to change my heart or to be able to do anything about my attitudes.  I've felt very impatient with myself and everyone around me lately and truthfully, I despair when I think about what's needed in my heart to affect change.  Sometimes I feel like such a fraud as a Christian.  I wholeheartedly thank God that no one can see the ugliness of my heart, but then I remember - He can!!  When I remember that, it's hard for me to believe that He still loves me in spite of all that ugliness.  But then I read that Scripture again, and remind myself that "He which hath begun a good work....will perform it", not me, and I am encouraged again.  The Scripture tells us that David encouraged himself in the Lord, and I find I have to do that continually.  My heart IS deceitful above all else and I can't trust it, but I can trust the one who sees my heart and I can trust that He will work in me to change it.

 
I thank God for His Word that also tells me:
  
"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it."  I Thessalonians 5:23-24
 
 
Boy, I want to put an exclamation point at the end of that!!  I am so thankful that He is faithful - faithful to even my failing heart.  Faithful to pour out His grace when I reach out for it, instead of choosing to stay in my pit of despair.  I look up and give thanks to "Him  that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us."  (Ephesians 3:20)
 
 
 
Be encouraged in Him today; be encouraged by His Word that is truly "manna" to your soul!
 
God is always good, and I am always loved!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment