Thursday, September 4, 2014

Back to Reality

Today is my last full day of vacation. 
I will start packing up tonight and tomorrow morning will make the 4-hr trip back to reality!

This has been a wonderful vacation. 
The weather was absolutely perfect. 
I ate lots of my favorite ice cream (pretty sure a year's allotment!), actually went into the ocean to ride the waves, sat and read, sat and read, and then sat and read some more!!
 
 
Laughed a lot, walked the beach a lot, took lots of pictures, took a couple of naps, went out to dinner, rested and relaxed. 
 





 
 I thoroughly enjoyed my time away.
It was everything a vacation should be and more.
 
But now, it's time to pack up, put the bathing suits away, brush the sand out of the car and head home.
 
Back to reality!
 
What is reality, anyway?
 
Wasn't my life real this past week just because I am alive and real no matter where I am?
 
What do we really mean when we say to someone - "Get Real!"
 
Definition of real - " genuine and authentic; free of pretense or falsehood."
Definition of reality - "the quality or state of being actual or true."
 
I was genuine and authentic, actual and true this week in my enjoyment of time away from responsibility, in my enjoyment of the beautiful weather, the ocean and the beach!
 

 
But, still, every time I think about going home, I think about going "back to reality."
 
Because real life is not a vacation every day.
Real life is not sitting on the beach, soaking up the rays, reading a good book and generally, just doing nothing every day.
Real life is not ice cream every day.
Real life is not about indulging the desires and wants of the flesh every day.
Real life is not fun every day.
Real life is not a nap in the sun every day.
 
Real life is responsibilities and meeting them head on, whether we feel like it or not.
Real life is reading the stark headlines of our newspaper.
Real life is eating food that will give our bodies proper nourishment.
Real life is working to provide for our needs, not necessarily our wants.
Real life is sacrificing for the good of others, not just ourselves.
Real life is about growing up and facing reality.
Real life is about trials and tribulations, weathering storms and reconciling relationships.
Real life is about hardship, pain and giving even when it hurts.
 
Real life is this:
 
Jesus said, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33
(read the previous Scriptures to find out what "these things" are!)
 
"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord.  If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you, if they have kept my saying, they keep yours also."
John 15:20
 
Pretty heavy stuff, this reality, isn't it?
But there's some pretty heavy stuff going on in the real world right now.
 
And the Word of God is where we find our reality.
 
"Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say, rejoice.  Be careful for nothing, but in every thing, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Philippians 4:4, 6-8
 
This is our reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment