Thursday, May 29, 2014

He Goes Before, He Walks Behind

“The Lord will go before you! The God of Israel will be your rear guard!” 
Isaiah 52:12

One translation says “For your Vanguard is the Lord, and your Rear-guard the God of Israel.”


“I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last."
Revelation 1:11


He who begins, finishes. He who leads us on, follows behind to deal in love with our poor attempts. He gathers up the things that we have dropped, our fallen resolutions, our mistakes. He makes His blessed pardon to flow over our sins till they are utterly washed away. And He turns to fight the enemy, who would pursue after us, to destroy us from behind. He is first, and He is last! We need never fear!
 
In all things, He goes before us. 
He paves the way. 
He even lights the way. 
He whispers "This is the way, walk ye in it."
We never walk alone.
We are never left to stumble and falter.
He is first.

 
I have a long walkway from my garage to my house and at night, without proper lighting, it can be pretty daunting.  Especially because I know we have bears in the woods behind our house!!  Yikes!!  But on the side of my garage there is a sensor light, so when I walk out of the garage, the light comes on.  As I walk down the walkway, there is another light on the house that comes on at dusk and stays on until early light.  This guides me down the walkway, but once I get past that light, it gets dark again.  I must continue on until I get to the bottom of my steps.  As soon as my foot hits the bottom step, another sensor light comes on to guide me up the steps.  BUT, I have to step on that first step.

 
This is such an object lesson for me.
 
We are to take one step at a time and as our foot lifts to take the next step, He lights the next one.  We just need to trust that He will.  Every time I walk down my walkway, I am trusting that my next step will light the next one and so on.
 
God does go before us, but we have to follow and we have to trust.
 
But, even as He goes before us, He is also our rear guard.
What comfort there is in this truth.
 
We are not left defenseless either way!
 
As we walk through this life, there are so many things that we shed as we go, some good, some not so good.  But they are not left haphazardly on the path.  He goes behind us and takes care of all those things.  He gathers them up and deals with them as He chooses.  He gathers our sins up into His bosom and He remembers them no more.  His mercy and grace follow us.


 
He brings up the rear.
He watches from behind.
He fights the enemy on our behalf.
He protects us from a "sneak attack."
He watches our back.
He is last.
 
He is the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.
 
What a comfort and a blessing to know that I have a God who not only goes before me and paves the way, but I also have a God who walks behind me to protect me in every way.
 
He fights the battle both ways.
I can trust Him to order my steps and direct my path.
I can trust Him to be "round about" me.



"You hem me in - behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me."
Psalm 139:5 (NIV)


 
"They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever.  As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the Lord is round about his people from henceforth even for ever."
Psalm 125:1, 2

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment