Thursday, February 20, 2014

Our Heart's Desire

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:25, 26

The Lord brings me back to this Scripture over and over again. In fact, this has become my life’s scripture. Time and time and time again, God has been “the strength of my heart.”


As I was reflecting again on this Scripture the other day, I was brought back to “earth has nothing I desire besides you” and I realized, yet again, that my life doesn’t always reflect
the truth of this Word.

 
There are definitely times when I act like I can find the answers to all my problems here on earth.

I distinctly remember shortly after my husband died acknowledging to the Lord that my strong desire was for my husband to be here back on earth with me. I had a greater desire for him at that moment than the Lord’s presence.

I know He understood and I know His heart was tender toward me during that time.

But I’m brought back to the question,

What does earth hold for me that I desire more than the Lord?

Do I often want my own way as opposed to the way of the Lord?
Do I often want to be right in any given situation rather than seeing the hand of God move?
Do I want to be loved and accepted more by man rather than God?
Do I fear the opinions of man more than the opinion of God?
Do I live my life bowing to the pressures of others and of life instead of seeking God’s plans and purposes?
Am I easily swayed more by what others think and want rather than being obedient to the Word of God?
Would I choose to increase my days here on earth if I could rather than desiring to be with the Lord?

Lord, help me. Sometimes I can even want a piece of chocolate more than I want your presence at a certain time in my life!!



“Earth has nothing I desire besides you.”

Earth definitely has nothing I should desire besides you!!

Anything that we desire or want enough to manipulate to get is an idol that we have set up above God. It is “a high thing that exalts itself” above God.

Commandment #2:
“Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”
Exodus 20:3

An idol is simply anything that takes the place of God in a person’s life.

It can be financial security, health, a job, a house, a car, security, recognition, food, romance, a person, an emotional need. The list goes on and on.



 
I remember years ago knowing a woman who wanted so desperately to have children and for reasons known only to God, she was not able to conceive. I think they tried everything that was medically available to them at the time to no avail. I was in a home group with this woman and felt her pain as she shared her desire. At that time, I was quite overweight and wanted desperately to be thin. The Lord revealed to me through this woman’s situation that we both had idols in our lives. She wanted children; I wanted to be thin. She was thin; I had children.  Our desires in and of themselves were not sinful, but the power we had given them in our lives was.

This woman and her husband went on to adopt two children (brother and sister) whose parents had died and she ultimately found out that what she thought she wanted, she really didn’t. She wasn’t prepared to pay the price that it required and they sent the children back to the adoption agency!!


God really does know best!! 

If He doesn’t give you something you long for in your life, it’s probably because you’re not ready for it yet; not prepared in your heart to count the cost and pay it. Everything comes at a price and we fool ourselves if we think the object of our desire will fulfill us in every way.
 
“And he (God) gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul.”
Psalm 106:15

This is why we need to seek God above all else. Only He truly knows what’s in our hearts - our needs and our desires - and more often than not, they are not the same thing!!

The current bookmark I am using has this Scripture on it:
 

“Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.”

Psalm 37:7

Seek Him above all else and trust Him to add to your life what He knows you need.

God has been showing me this very clearly in the past couple of weeks. I have recently taken on a part-time job and as a result, I have been constantly juggling my schedule. It seems I have very little time to myself and I am constantly going from one thing to another. 

I’ve been crying out to the Lord with this prayer - “Lord, you know I’m an introvert and I get my strength and energy renewed by spending time alone and with you. Lord, show me what to eliminate from my life so I can have that. I need that time, Lord. I just need one day all to myself with no obligations!”

The Lord has answered my prayer with this - “My child, I know what you have need of and I will provide it in my time. What you think you need and what I know you need are often two different things. You place limits, I do not.”

What I think I need can very often become an idol!

He has given me this Scripture:


“Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes. For you will spread out to the right and to the left;”

Isaiah 54:2, 3a

The Lord is desiring to increase my capacity and it hurts right now!! It is not my desire and I have found myself longing for what God is not giving me at this time.

As a result, every morning I have had to go before the Lord and submit my schedule unto Him. I am not praying anymore that He would change my schedule. I’m praying that He would give me strength and grace to meet the challenges of my day.

What are your idols? 
Ask the Lord to reveal them. 
Lay them at His feet.
Repent.
Trust Him.

Seek the Lord with me as we endeavor to declare with undivided hearts of truth:

“Earth has nothing I desire besides you.”



 

No comments:

Post a Comment