Sunday, January 19, 2014

I Am a "Kept" Woman!

The following was not written by me, and I'm sorry I can't give credit due to the one who did write it but I have no idea who she was!
 
I Am a 'Kept' Woman
 
You see, there were a few times when I thought I would lose my mind,
but God kept me sane (Isaiah 26:3).
 
There were times when I thought I could go on no longer
but the Lord kept me moving (Genesis 28:15).
 
At times, I've wanted to lash out at those whom I felt had done me wrong,
but the Lord kept my mouth shut (Psalm 13).
 
Sometimes, I think the money just isn't enough,
but God has helped me to keep
the lights on, the water on,
the car paid, the house paid, etc. (Matthew 6:25-34).
 
When I thought I would fall,
He kept me up.
 
When I thought I was weak,
He kept me strong (I Peter 5:7, Matthew 11:28-30).
 
I could go on and on and on, but I'm sure you hear me!
 
I am blessed to be 'kept!'
 
I'm 'kept' by the love and grace of God!
 

 
I (Donna speaking now) remember something a speaker at our church years ago once said; I can't remember who he was, but I remember something very powerful he said that day.  
 
Paraphrasing, he said:
 
There is a big difference between faith and religion:
religion is man holding onto God, faith is God holding onto man. 
 
Picture a small child getting ready to cross a busy street with his father.  If the child is holding onto his father, but then decides to let go, the consequences could be fatal.  But if the father is holding onto the child and the child tries to run out into the street, the father's grip pulls him back.
 
This, to me, is what the "keeping power" of God is all about. 
 
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy has begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fades not away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."
I Peter 1:3-5
 
He holds tight onto us and never lets go.  Even when I am unfaithful, He remains faithful.  He is always reaching toward me; He is always wooing me to Himself.
 
He keeps me even, or especially, when I  can't keep myself!
 
There are times when I have been unfaithful and I'm sure those times will happen again.  I have no power to keep myself, but He is faithful!
 
"If we believe not, yet he abides faithful: he cannot deny himself."
2 Timothy 2:13
 
When we feel far from God, it's not God who has moved; it is always us!
 
When we are tempted to walk away from God into something potentially dangerous for us, God's grip pulls us back.  When we wane in our commitment to God and seem drawn to things of the world that temporarily satisfy, God's love never stops reaching out for us. 
 
He never gives up on us!
 
He keeps us in His sight at all times!
 

 
I don't know about you, but this brings me great comfort. 
I have been wooed away from God at times by the shallow promises of the world.  At times, I have not wanted to "pay the price" that it costs to obey God and walk in His will.  But He has never forsaken me; He has never given up on me; He has never stopped loving me!
 
At times, He has left me to my own devices so I could come to the realization of just how desperately I need Him.  At times, He has chastened me, but His Word says that God chastens those He loves.
  
 
I am extremely thankful for the chastening of the Lord.  I am extremely thankful that He loves me enough not to let me go my own way.  His love continually reaches out to me, to draw me onto Himself because He knows His ways are so much better, so much richer for me than what the world may offer me.
 
I truly am a 'kept' woman and I am so thankful I am!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment