Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Patience With God

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect 
and entire, wanting nothing."  
James 1:2-4

Back on May 1st, I got my convertible out of storage, had the oil changed, state inspection done and it was ready to ride for another summer. I love my convertible (if you haven't heard the story about it yet, you can find it here). It brings me so much joy and I am so blessed that God has allowed me to enjoy it.





So, I drove it all of May, several times with the top down, enjoying the summer, the sun and the breeze. On June 2nd, as I tried to put the top back up, it made this really funny noise and when it was completely up, the "Convertible Top in Operation" light on the dash did not go out as it usually does. I thought that was kind of strange, but was in a hurry, so continued on my way.  A couple days later when next I tried to put the top down, it would not go down!  Ugh!!

Brought it in to the dealer to be told that some sensors and switches were frozen and/or burnt out, they would have to order them to the tune of $673.57!! The visit that day cost me $71.16. Went on my way, debating - do I fix this or not?

I had always told myself that I would only keep this car as long as it didn't cost me a lot of money to run. I had been toying with the idea of selling it this summer anyway, so I reasoned I had to fix the top because I would not be able to get top dollar for it otherwise. Nobody wants a convertible that doesn't work! What's the point? So, I called and gave them the go ahead. Parts came in, brought it down, they replaced all of the sensors but one because they received the wrong part. That day I paid $521.32 and they ordered the correct sensor.

Sensor comes in, they put it in for $204.45 and the convertible top still doesn't work. At this point, they ascertain that it is the module that is not sending the correct signal and that will have to be replaced. They will order the part. That part comes in, they replace it - $350.00 and the top still doesn't work!! Now they're telling me it's actually the hydraulic pump that is not working. Here's the deal - a new pump costs $1500.00! BUT, they think they can get me one cheaper. 



They call me a few days later and they found one for $875.00. I leave the car with them while I go to Maine for a long weekend. While in Maine, I get a call saying they've installed the pump, but it doesn't seem to be working. They think there is a leak in the pump; they will try to find another one. Monday morning they call and they think the fluid in the pump just needs to be replaced. Okay! Monday afternoon I get a call that goes like this -

Mechanic -  Hi, Donna. This is Kyle at  (remains nameless dealership). How are you?
Me: Hi, Kyle. Please tell me you've got some good news for me.
Kyle: I just saw a convertible top go up and down.
Me: Oh my gosh, you're kidding!!
Kyle: No, I'm not. It's all set to go.
Me: Well, Kyle, I might just have a drink tonight to celebrate and I'm not a drinker!!

I made arrangements to pick it up later in the afternoon. After I picked the car up (price tag: $1126.43), I went to the grocery store and then home. When I got home, I decided to put the top down. I wanted to see it work for myself. Guess what:  IT DIDN'T WORK!!!



Called them back the next day, brought it in again. Turns out the pump is faulty and they need to order a new one at no charge and they will install it for no charge!!

As of this writing, I am still waiting for the new pump to come in.

So, to break this down for you -

$  71.16
  521.32
  204.45
  350.00
 1126.43
$2273.36  is the total I have spent and IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!!

Do you think they saw me coming???

No, seriously, I truly don't think they are cheating me. This dealership has an excellent reputation in our area and I do believe they are trustworthy.

So now 2 months have gone by, most of the summer is gone and I am definitely a lot poorer now than I was at the beginning! And, I haven't even had the fun of riding with the top down!!

Through this whole ordeal, I have been wrestling with God. I've also been struggling for the past six months with some physical issues! So, this is what the dialogue sounds like (or should I say monologue??) -

"God, I just don't understand what's going on. I am a faithful tither. You know I don't have a lot of money. I had put aside this money to have my garage painted and to do some landscaping in the front yard and now it is being thrown into this convertible! So, I guess I'm really going to have to sell it now because I surely can't afford the insurance anymore and I don't have the money to store it for the winter again. God, what is going on? Why don't you reveal what the problem is? They just can't seem to figure it out. Again, Lord? It still doesn't work?? When will this saga ever end?

"Well, my knee started to feel better, but now it's gotten worse again. I couldn't even stand up straight when I got up this morning, Lord. This has been going on for 6 months, why isn't there any end in sight? I don't understand, God. I don't understand. What are you trying to tell me? What are you trying to show me? Why won't you talk to me, God????"




Have you ever had conversations with God like that or am I the only one??

A couple of weeks ago our Pastor preached a sermon from James, chapter 1 and the light came on! God said to me, "Donna, can you be patient with me? I know what I'm doing. I am working a work that you know not of and it is perfect. I know the end from the beginning, you don't! Trust me! Let patience have her perfect work in you."

Have you ever thought of patience like that? I haven't! Maybe you have and I'm the one who is the slow learner, but I've never thought of being patient with God while He is working in my life.

Something rested in my spirit that day and while I still don't understand what He's up to, I'm at peace, patiently waiting to see the good that will come from this. And I know good will come, because God is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment