Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Taken Out of the Race

So, back on January 5th, I wrote a blog called "Getting Back in the Race."  I wrote about getting back into the race of exercise, but also getting back into the race of life.





I had backed off considerably on my exercising in previous months, but got back into the race in earnest about the middle of December and was really starting to enjoy it, yes, really enjoy it, again.  I was walking on a regular basis again, and it felt so good, I decided to return to my Zumba classes.

It felt good, it really did, to "get back in the race."  I was looking forward to building up to my 3 miles/day again and then trying to increase my pace.  I felt like I was finally back on track.

I felt that way about life, too.  We had just gone through the Christmas season and I had a week off from work where I just kind of "checked out." I had been seeking the Lord, too, regarding a situation I was really struggling with and felt I had finally received some clarity and was ready to move forward. The holidays were over and I was ready - to get back to life and to get back on track with the Lord, seeking His direction for the new year.

THEN, I injured my leg!!  Could hardly walk and the pain was excruciating!! My chiropractor says I injured my IT Band.  Say, what? I didn't even know I had an IT Band.  I didn't even know what an IT Band was, do you??

When I was telling my grandchildren about my leg injury, they wanted to know, "What is that?"  My daughter, humorous as she is, said it was a bunch of techies playing music on my leg!!  Get it?  IT - techies?  Yeah, yeah!!


Actually, it's a condition often called ITBS - iliotibial band friction syndrome.  It's a painful condition in which connective tissue rubs against the thighbone. It causes pain all the way down your leg, but particularly in the area of the knee. It's apparently a very common injury for runners!!!!  Just to refresh your memory, I am not a runner. I stated in my blog that I was barely walking 2 miles without huffing and puffing!! So, I'm thinking this is also explaining why I've been so tired lately - apparently, I've been running in my sleep!!!

So, I've been taken out of the race, just when I first got back in!!

What's up with that, Lord??

I've been sidelined!  I'm not happy!  And I'm asking the Lord, what are you saying to me? 

In the natural, I'm thinking I was not as prepared to begin full-fledged exercising again.  Perhaps I should have done more stretching and worked up to 2 miles in 30 minutes instead of just getting on the track, full speed ahead, doing 2 miles right away. Perhaps I should have walked just 1 mile the first time out. Perhaps I should have spent more time stretching and warming up? Perhaps I should have been a little easier on my body???


What does that speak in the spiritual realm? Perhaps before I go off into ministry, into the enemy's camp or shooting my mouth off, I need more spiritual preparation.  Perhaps I need to spend more time in prayer. Perhaps I need to spend more time in the Word. Perhaps I need to spend more time seeking the Lord's direction, before I just go and do what I think I should go and do???



Perhaps preparation is very important - physically and spiritually!  

I love to look up every day regular words in the dictionary.  Words that I think I know the meaning of already.  Webster's says the word prepare means to make or get ready for some purpose, task or event; to produce by combining elements or ingredients; to provide in advance; equip.

Maybe I should have gotten ready for my exercise program by providing in advance the things my body needed to operate smoothly when it was stretched. Maybe I should spend time in the Word equipping myself for what the Lord is asking me to do.  And even if I don't know what that is, if I am prepared, I will be ready when He chooses to show me. Maybe I should spend more time in prayer seeking Him to show me.

"....and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only:"  1 Samuel 7:3b

"Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight."  Matthew 3:3b

"The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him."  Exodus 15:2



So, maybe if I don't want to be taken out of the race prematurely, I need to spend more time in preparation.  What do you think??




No comments:

Post a Comment