Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Mercy - New Every Morning!

"It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not."
Lamentations 3:22
 
The word "mercies" here in the Hebrew means kindness, pity.  It is only because of the Lord's kindness and pity towards us that we are not consumed, swallowed up by this world
or by our own sinfulness. 
Because his compassions - his love and mercy - fail not!
 
I love this whole section of Lamentations.  It reads:
 
"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. 
It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. 
The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. 
The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. 
It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord."
Lamentations 3:21-26
 




 
As I have gotten older, and hopefully a little wiser, I realize just how much I need, truly need God's mercy every minute of every day.  If it wasn't for His mercy,
I would surely be consumed by my own sinfulness.
I live every day by His kindness toward me, by His pity upon me.
 
He takes pity upon me because He knows I am just a (wo)man.  He knows my weaknesses, my doubts, my fears, my failures, my secret sins, my cravings.  He knows me better than I know me.
 
He knows, too, that in myself, I have no way out!  I cannot save myself from the devastation that my weaknesses, my doubts, my fears, my failures, my secret sins or my cravings cause - to myself and/or to others. 
 
"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who redeems thy life from destruction; who crowns thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies;"
Psalm 103:2, 4
 

 
When I am at my worse, He takes pity on me and rescues me!  Constantly, He is rescuing me; most times, from myself!!  I am my own worse enemy!  But He looks kindly and with compassion upon me and His relentless pursuit of me continues.
 
"Because his compassions fail not."
 
Because His love for me fails not; never fails; never fails; never, ever fails.
 
And even better
 
"They are new every morning:"
 
Just when I think I've exhausted His supply, a new day dawns and His mercies and lovingkindness toward me are renewed with the dawning!!
 

 
"Because thy loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee."
Psalm 63:3
 
How many times I have thanked Him for His mercy; too many to count, for sure!!
 
This Scripture not only renews me every time I read it, but it stirs hope within me.
 
"This I recall to mind, therefore have I hope."
 
When I remember God's mercy, God's love for me; His relentless pursuit of me,
it stirs hope in my heart. 
All is not lost! 
 
There is hope for me - because of God;
because He never stops working and moving in my heart and life. 
He nevers stops pursuing me. 
He never stops revealing Himself to me. 
He never stops!!
 
His mercies never come to an end!!
 
"O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life."
Lamentations 3:58
 
"Yet the Lord will command his loving-kindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life."
Psalm 42:8
 
"The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlating love; therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee."
Jeremiah 31:3
 
"And I will betroth thee unto me forever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in loving-kindness, and in mercies.  I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the Lord."
Hosea 2:19
 
My hope is in Him. 
 
My hope is in the fact that His mercy, His loving-kindness, and His faithfulness are steadfast, true and sure in my life.  No matter what I face each and every day - within myself or without from the world, I know His promises are Yea and Amen and I can trust in Him.
 
Beloved, comfort yourself with His words. 
What life they give!
 
 
Are you needing mercy today?
Are you needing pity today?  Pity that cares and is moved by your plight?
Are you needing His loving-kindness today?
 
Pray with the Psalmist:
 
"Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy loving-kindness
and thy truth continually preserve me."
"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving-kindness:
according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies, blot out my transgressions."
"Cause me to hear thy loving-kindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust:
cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee."
Psalm 40:11, 51:1, 143:8
 
Reach out for His mercy today!
It's yours for the taking!
He pours out His mercy freely!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment