Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Seek Truth

Have you ever known someone who was such an habitual liar that they began to believe their own lies? They lied so much, they lost all concept of what was truth and what was lies?






In actuality, I think we are all a little like that without even knowing it. We see things from our own perspective and often times we see them the way we want them to be. We sometimes embellish the truth without even realizing we are doing it. We can be self-deceived, too, so that our reality actually becomes what we want it to be, rather than what it really is.



I'm going to broach a subject here that I usually try to stay away from, but I feel it is important enough that I want to address it. It's the subject of politics and what's gone on in our country these last 18 months.

Last Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, most of the media and the liberals in this country were shocked, stunned and horrified to find that Donald Trump was actually elected president! I don't mean to sound like a braggart when I say - I wasn't!

I think the reason why they were shocked, stunned and horrified is because for months they had been spreading so many lies and reporting an untold amount of untruths, so much so, that they began to believe their own press. They were convinced by their own lies!!



There were so many accusations against Donald Trump that were never even validated before they found their way in the news and social media outlets. Many of those lies and accusations have proven to be false, but nobody reported on that. No one ever bothered to check because they had decided already that he was the bad guy, so he must be guilty and everything they heard about him must be true.

I truly believe we are going to be pleasantly surprised by the Donald Trump we see unfold before us in the weeks, months and years to come. I am not saying he is a perfect man and I know that some of the accusations against him were true and justified. I fully understand that he is not the ideal savior who can save our country. I know and understand that his past reveals a lack of character, but, seriously, whose doesn't? However, I do strongly believe he is God's man for this hour in our country.

Okay, I have said all that to make my point, which is this - we need to always be sure, in the midst of all we pursue in our lives, that we pursue truth.

John 3:16-21 says:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."

If you are living in truth and walking in truth, then you have nothing to hide when the light shines on you, but if you are doing wrong (and Scripture tells us that we have a conscience that tells us when we are doing wrong so we are without excuse), then when the light comes, your first instinct is to hide. You don't want your deeds exposed.

When we have a "vested interest" in the outcome of a situation (or election), then of course, we don't want to see or reveal the truth because it can and often times does, expose and hinder our own hidden agenda.

It distresses me that today we have so many who seem to walk in the "herd mentality," meaning they just follow the crowd, not seeking truth for themselves. So much of what has gone on in this country in the last few years - riots, demonstrations, shootings, etc - was based on lies that the media was quick to report but very slow to retract, if ever. We must seek the truth!

I urge you to be truth seekers. Seek and diligently pursue the truth.

Jesus said -


"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  
John 8:32

Don't just believe something because it's what you want to believe. Don't just believe something because somebody told it to you. Don't just believe everything you read on social media. Be willing to seek the truth, regardless of what you might find. Is your conclusion of the truth based on fact or heresay?



I believe there were a lot of untruths told about both parties in this election. As citizens of this country who were planning to vote, we had not only a right, but an obligation, to seek the truth about both candidates and then make an informed decision. Sad to say, I don't think all voters took the time to do that.

And I'm not just talking about the political realm here. I'm talking about all aspects of our lives. Are we quick to believe a rumor about someone because we are biased against them? Or do we check it out? Does the rumor further our agenda so we don't bother to check it out? I know I have been guilty of doing this. If we're honest with ourselves, we all are. Do we avoid the truth when it serves our purposes? Do we skirt around the truth to cover up our own impure motives? What does God really want to reveal about our own hearts?

"Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait al the day long."
Psalm 25:4, 5

Let's raise the standard! Let's commit to be truth seekers! Seek first God's truth. Let His standard be your standard. Let's endeavor to base our decisions on truth - truth that can withstand the light. Seek to walk away from the darkness into the marvelous light of God's truth!




No comments:

Post a Comment