Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Unpacking

I've recently returned from a vacation by the ocean and while I didn't get as many beach days as I had hoped because of the weather, it was a restful trip. But, as all good (and bad) things must, it came to an end and here I was, at home, unpacking.




As I unpacked, I separated the items into groups - this goes in the bedroom, this in the kitchen, this in the bathroom, this in the laundry, etc. My vacation was being reduced to piles - literally!! 

As I continued to unpack and sort out, I thought wouldn't it be wonderful if I could unpack my mind and organize everything into piles and see my life and all its categories reduced to these neatly packaged bundles???

Scary, how I think, huh?

I am an organizer at heart. Seriously, my lists have lists! I can't NOT organize; it's just part of the way God made me. When I am faced with overwhelming things to do, I start out by organizing. I reduce the "bigness" of it all into smaller packages, so I can better handle it. I make lists, tons and tons of lists. It's my way of reducing things to manageable "piles."

So, this is what I was thinking this day. I have so much going on in my life right now - so many different "categories" that need attention, that I wish I could reduce each of them to a neat little package that I could pick up and handle when necessary. Instead, all of these things are randomly floating around in my mind and driving me crazy!



I want to unpack my mind!!

I placed all the laundry on the bathroom floor and sorted it, started the wash and systematically did 4 loads. I returned all of my cosmetics back to their rightful places in my vanity. I cleaned out my beach bag and put it away, sadly, until next summer. I returned all the clean items of clothing back to their respective closets and hooked my laptop on my desk once again. The food items brought back were shelved in the pantry and the empty luggage was stored in the closet!

Aaaahh, a place for everything and everything in its place!  Joy, joy!!

But, still, the question begged, what to do about my mind?? How do I unpack that??

Zumba classes start Monday, Bible Study starts next week, a new fitness program looms, there are people I need to re-connect with, other books I still want to read, the house desperately needs cleaning, the car needs to be put up for sale, the garden needs attention and Christmas is coming!!!!

How do I organize these things in my mind and then give attention to each one as needed and necessary? Some I need to prepare for, others I need to give precious time to and how can I possibly read 3 books at once and do 2 Bible studies at the same time???!!!??? When will I have time to clean and re-organize and work outside?

How do I unpack my mind and organize my life???

Aarrggghhhhh!!!


Can you read what that says?  

"Everyone comes with baggage.
Find someone who loves you enough to help you unpack."

Oh!

I'm brought back to what needs to be the beginning of it all. I'm brought back to the One who IS the beginning of it all. I'm brought back to the One who loves me enough to help me unpack, the One who will help me unpack all the "stuff" frantically running through my mind. I'm brought back to the "starting line."

As trite and cliche as this sounds, the truth resonates - before I can do anything, I must start with prayer. I must start with the stillness and quiet that will allow me to enter into His presence and find His mind for all that needs to be organized in my mind. That is the place I find peace, the place I find rest, the place where all those thoughts vying for my attention cease to run around and calm down. 



"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7

That's how I unpack my mind. 

Don't be anxious, be thankful and present my requests to the Lord. Then - peace. Aaahh! 

Peace. The peace of a quiet and still mind, with no anxious thoughts left, only a mind stayed on Him.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee..."
Isaiah 26:3 

Instead of spending my time and energy trying to figure out how I'm going to get everything done, I need to keep my mind on Him, the One who gives "perfect peace." He will lead and guide me through each thing. He will help me with my lists, help me to prioritize and most of all, He will help keep me from going off the deep end!!




No comments:

Post a Comment