Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Boo-Hooing the End of Summer

"Summer is leaving silently. Much like a traveler approaching the end of an amazing journey."  Darnell Lamont Walker

"It was end of the summer and my heart was broken, but I was smiling, laughing, making jokes like there was nothing bleeding inside."
Arzum Uzun



I'm having a hard time letting go. This is my least favorite time of the year. Transition time - letting go of summer and embracing autumn. I think I wouldn't have such a hard time doing that if I didn't know what follows autumn!

Back to school supplies have been in the stores for a few weeks, winter clothes are going on sale, the county fair just started in my neighborhood (sure sign of the end of summer), kids are back in school this week and you can even smell autumn in the air!


I hate it! I really, really hate it!

I am a summer girl through and through! I love the sun, I love the breeze, I love wearing my flip-flops, I love the beach, I love swimming, I love summer sunsets, I love riding around in my convertible with the top down. I just plain love summer!



I am not ready to let go. I am not ready for the progression of clothing from capris to long slacks, from short sleeves to sweaters to jackets to winter coats and boots! My toes are not ready for shoes!!

And yet, I do love the autumn season. I love the crispness in the air, I love the cooler nights, I love the fresh apples, I love the harvest, I love the clear perfect days we have here in Vermont. When I was a young girl, I loved going back to school because I loved school, I really did.



I just don't like to think what comes after autumn is over!!

So for today, I'm choosing not to think about W*****! Today I am thinking about my vacation that's coming up. Saturday I will be leaving for a week in Maine, my last "hurrah" of this summer. I've been going to Maine the first week of September for probably about 8-9 years now and I love it. It extends my summer and I don't have to think about anything to do with autumn until I get home. We usually have great weather and it's more time to spend in my flip-flops on the beach!! But, I am always aware of what's waiting for me when I get home!




God, Himself, has set the seasons in their order and for our benefit. Each season carries with it its own special blessings. We can enter a new season kicking and screaming or with expectation of what it will bring us. Sometimes we need to mourn the season past before we can move into the new season awaiting. Other times, we need to simply let go and look forward. But winter does carry blessings in the same way summer does - they are just different.


I think of the physical seasons as a type and shadow of life seasons.


Spring - baby, toddler, teen years, planting, shaping, forming years
Summer - our years of productivity, blossoming
Autumn - season of harvest, reaping what we have sown in previous seasons
Winter - season of rest from our works, enjoying (hopefully) the fruits of our labors


Seasons are sometimes represented by certain milestones in our lives - our last child going off to school; one season ending, another beginning. Getting married - one season, the season of singleness, ending and another season beginning. The last child leaving home - one season ending, another beginning - empty nest. Graduating high school, entering college - one season ending, another beginning. All of these seasons have joys and blessings to contribute to our lives, but we need to be willing to let go of the past season to reach for them.


Embrace whatever season you're in or the season you may be entering into soon. Summer is ending, autumn is around the corner and winter will soon follow. Each has blessings to offer. I will be looking for them!


No comments:

Post a Comment