Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mystery

Do you like to read mystery novels? I do. But I have a confession to make - When I read a mystery, I always read the last chapter first!  I want to know while I'm reading it "who done it!!" What does that say about me? I'm not sure and I'm not even sure I want to know!!






But one thing I do know is that there is so much about life that is a mystery to me - to us. Some mysteries we can pursue and solve; others, no matter how we try, we can not. I believe it's meant to be that way.



Deuteronomy 29:29 tells us - "The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."

And then Proverbs 30:18 & 19 says this: "There are three things that are two amazing for me, four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of man with a maiden."

This Scripture tells us that there are mysteries that God reveals, but there are also mysteries that we do not and can not understand.





I read this in my devotional the other day. It's from "Longing for More" by Timothy Williard.



Made for Beauty, Made for Mystery


"The glory that you have given me I have given to them. John 17:22


    We watch the sun set. It stirs a desire within us. We cannot quite describe the desire -- we want some part of the experience. But what? C.S. Lewis says we don't want the sunset itself. Rather, we want to crawl inside of it and wash ourselves with whatever it is behind the sunset -- an experience of interaction with its Creator.
    Studies in science tell us our brains are hardwired for belief. God made us with the ability to desire that which cannot always be seen or fully known. 'If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy,' says Lewis in Mere Christianity, 'the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.'
    In a BBC feature, Ben Quash, professor of Christianity and the Arts at King's College London, said beauty is known best when it is giving the sense of home and communion. We find echoes of Lewis here, for Lewis always seems to be reaching for home in his writings, while at the same time aiming us at the sunset -- content to leave us in the arms of longing.
    Do you feel the pull of another world? When you encounter the mysterious and the beautiful, do you also experience a peace in knowing that Jesus is showing himself to you? I feel at home in mystery, but it seems many Christians think mystery and the lack of answers uncomfortable. I think God gives us mystery so that we stay humble, so that we constantly thirst for him, so that we continually find delight.


The mystery of what touches our hearts when we hear beautiful music or are moved to tears when we read or watch a love story pulls at our hearts. We can't always understand what we're feeling. Something deep in our spirits is moved and touched by the depth and beauty. What comes through them to us is longing. That's the place where God resides and we are responding to His glory being revealed. But the mistake comes when we think our longing is just for the thing of beauty. The true longing of the heart is for God - to know Him and be known by Him. We are longing for the Creator, not the created.

This is what separates. We can see or hear a thing of beauty and long for it to never end because it is so beautiful and touches something deep inside. But to allow our souls to go further and long for that which created the thing of beauty and gave it expression will be what pulls us and drives us to seek the Creator for ourselves.



It is not for us to solve the mystery of that. It is for God to reveal Himself to us and to draw us into His mystery. To continually find delight. Embrace this mystery; celebrate it! Celebrate the glimpses of God He chooses to reveal to you in the mysteries of His creation! And then be content to leave the rest with Him. Because to know Him wraps us in the greatest mystery of all time - the revealed Messiah - Jesus Christ - God with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment