Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Day at the Beach

Well, here I am in Florida, far away from the snow, sleet, freezing rain and freezing temperatures! As I walk down the boardwalk toward the beach, I breathe in deeply.  I don't think there's any other scent that soothes my soul more than the scent of the ocean.  I feel like I've come home!


It’s a mystery to me why a day at the beach refreshes me as it does! But it does, indeed.



The sand between my toes, the waves lapping the shore, the cool breeze off the ocean, the hot sun on my skin, the smell of sun screen; I’m on sensory overload and I love it! Right at this moment, there is no other place I’d rather be.




A day at the beach does more to relax my body, soothe my soul and rejuvenate my spirit than just about any thing else. I lay back in my sand chair, close my eyes, breathe deeply and just take it all in.  The cares of the day, the cares of life, just simply melt away.  For this moment, I am here and all is right with the world!  No politicians competing for my vote, no terrorists on the horizon, no snow to shovel, no house-cleaning to be done, no phone to answer, no deadline to meet, no traffic to maneuver through.  Just peace.......

I feel closer to the Lord here somehow. The vastness of the ocean speaks to me of the majesty of my God. It humbles me; puts me "in my place," and reminds me again that the world does not revolve around me and my life.



I sift the sand between my toes and think that despite the numbers of the grains that make up the whole, God knows each one. And in the same way, He knows me and He sees me. In the midst of the millions of people on earth - He sees me! That thought causes me to smile as I enjoy the heat of the sun on my body. What an awesome God we serve!

I relax in my chair and give thanks to God for this respite - this time carved out just for me. I know that when I get back home, I will have to return to being a responsible adult again. 

But I’m not going to think of that right now. I’m going to rest in this moment and revel in this gift God has given me - this time at the beach. I think - this is truly the most perfect gift He could give me. 



I tell myself - Enjoy the moment! Savor the moment! Find God in the moment! Enjoy the gift right here - right now.

Enjoy the gift - right here, right now. Isn’t that what He continually reminds me to do? How quickly I forget and rush off to the next thing. But not today. Today, I am going to rest in Him. Today, I am going to savor this moment, right here, right now, at the beach, in the sun.

I push my toes deeper into the sand, sit back further in my chair and breathe it all in. Aaaaah!

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." 
Matthew 11:28-30

Enjoy the rest He gives you - the gift in the moment, whatever form it may take. 
Enjoy right here, right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment