Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Do You See What I See?

"Said the night wind to the little lamb
Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky little lamb
Do you see what I see
A star, a star
Dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite
With a tail as big as a kite."

I found myself thinking and pondering on these words of a popular Christmas tune this morning. 

Do I see?  Do you see?  What do we see?  What do we need to see?



A star.


What does that star point to?


As the story goes, the wise men saw the star and followed it to worship the "King of the Jews." (Matthew 2:1-2)

Do we still follow the star today?  What do we see that points us to the King?

Or are we so busy, we don't see?  Where are our eyes looking?  Are they downcast?  Are we lost so deep in thought that we are looking but not really seeing? Are we looking for Him?  Are we looking, but not seeing so we miss Him when He appears?  Are we so focused on our "next thing" that we miss what's right in front of us?

Do we need salve for our eyes?  Do we need the blinders removed?  Or do we need to be struck blind, as Saul was on the road to Damascus, to be able to truly see?  (Acts 9)

I want to see Him.

Today.

I want to see Him in the face of the harried mother at the supermarket. 
I want to see Him in the face of the homeless man on the corner. 
I want to see Him in the face of the businessman desperately rushing to get to his next appointment.
I want to see Him in the face of Dolores, a lonely woman at the nursing home.





I want to see and understand that they feel the hurts, the pains and the bruises of this hurried, messed-up world we live in just as much as I do.  I want to be reminded that they, too, are coping the best they know how.  And I want to remember that they need the Savior, too, and in the only way they know how, they are seeking Him, even if they don't even know it.

As I seek to know Him, I need to look into these faces and understand that the least I do unto these, I have done unto Him.

"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, you blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  For I was hungry, and you gave me meat; I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger and you took me in: Naked and you clothed me: I was sick and you visited me: I was in prison and you came unto me.  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry and fed thee? or thirsty and gave thee drink? When did we see you as a stranger and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when did we see you sick or in prison and came unto thee?  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily, I say unto you, inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me."  Matthew 25:34-40

I also want to see Him in all the circumstances of my ordinary, every day life.  I want to see Him while I'm standing in an endless line that isn't moving.  I want to see Him when my plans fall through, when I hear words I don't want to hear, when I feel rejected and left out, when things don't go my way.

I want to see Him.

In my search to see Him today, in your search to see Him today, let us find Him in the faces of those we meet as we go about our ordinary day.  Let us really see what we are looking at.  Let us see Him in the moment, right here and now, regardless of what here and now looks like.

Let us see Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment