Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Father Delights in His Daughter

Continuing on my thread from Monday's post, I've done a lot of thinking about how my husband delighted in our daughters and that carried over into thinking about how much God delights in His daughters.

"Behold, my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delights..."
Isaiah 42:1


I believe my husband's love for his daughters was just a "type and shadow" of the love 
God feels for us.

My husband loved surprising our daughters.
God delights in surprising us.

My husband loved to just be with his daughters, spend time with them.
God loves to be with us and spend time with us.

My husband enjoyed showing them new things and taking them new places.
God enjoys showing us new things and taking us places in Him we never thought we'd go.

My husband would sometimes get so tickled with the girls and their little idiosyncrasies and things they would do when they didn't think anyone was watching.
God "gets tickled" with us when we delight in Him and get awed at things He shows us and does for us when no-one else is watching.

One particular moment comes to mind.  My husband was chastening Jocelyn, age 3, one day for something she had done.  She listened to him for a moment, then she put her hand on her hip and said, "What's your problem, Big Boy?"  My husband lost it. He turned around, walked out of the room and said, "She's all yours, Donna!"  He could no longer effectively chasten her because he was laughing too hard!!!

Do you think Jesus ever says to the Father, "She's all yours, Dad!"
I think He just might!

You might disagree with me about that, but hear me out.

We were created by a loving God who knew our limitations when He created us.
I don't believe, no, let me rephrase that, I know He doesn't expect us to be perfect and to "get it" perfectly all the time.

He knows our struggles as finite human beings.
Does He delight when we get it wrong?
Absolutely not!

But He delights when we turn to Him for help, just as my husband delighted when his daughters asked him for help.

Does He neglect in disciplining us?
Absolutely not!

But, I do believe He only disciplines for our good and when other teaching avenues have failed.

Does He delight in us?
Absolutely!
Always!

We are His daughters!
We are the work of His hands created to do good works.
He longs for us to succeed.

But He doesn't expect from us what we are not mature enough to do yet.

If Jocelyn had said that same thing to my husband when she was about 14-15, I think his reaction would have been completely different.

God knows and understands our limitations, whether age-related or related to our ignorance of His Word.  He knows we are flawed.  He knows we often get it wrong.  He knows all of our thoughts and the folly of them.  He knows we are going to fail; in fact, He has even planned for our failures and He's there to pick us up, dust us off, and give us a second chance, a third chance, and so on.

Just as my husband longed to protect his daughters from heartache, from disappointment and from pain that is sometimes just a part of life, so, too, our Father longs to protect us.

That's why He gave us the Ten Commandments.
For our own good, as a promise and a covenant with us.
He knows that keeping those commandments keeps us from a lot of unnecessary heartache.

He delights in His daughters!
His love is always there to protect, to comfort, to lead and guide, to discipline, to teach, to encourage and to bring us to Himself.

"He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me."
Psalm 18:19

Zephaniah 3:17 says:

"The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing."

What is the song He sings over you?

I know the song He sings over me.
Ask Him today what song He sings over you.

Know today - You are His delight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment